Whitsundays Travel Distances
Getting to the Whitsundays from other Australian cities
The Whitsunday Islands are roughly 1100km north of Brisbane, the capital of Queensland, in the Central Section of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.
Getting there by road is easy enough if you are driving from south east Queensland, just head north! If you're traveling to the Whitsundays from anywhere else in Australia you are in for one hell of a drive - it's probably a wiser and cheaper option to fly there.
More information about flying to the Whitsundays can be found in our Getting to the Whitsundays section.
Distance by road from Airlie Beach, Whitsundays to:
Distances from the Whitsunday Islands to other areas of Queensland and Australia. View route links take you to Google maps and opens in a new window.
- Mt Isa: 1117 km (about 13 hrs 21 mins) - view route
- Cairns: 619 km (about 8 hrs 26 mins) - view route
- Townsville: 273 km (about 3 hrs 47 mins) - view route
- Mackay: 149 km (about 2 hrs 5 mins) - view route
- Rockhampton: 482 km (about 6 hours 10 mins) - view route
- Bundaberg: 770 km (about 9 hrs 50 mins) - view route
- Sunshine Coast: 1013 km (about 13 hrs 15 mins) - view route
- Brisbane: 1098 km (about 14 hrs 40 mins) - view route
- Gold Coast: 1174 km (about 15 hrs 19 mins) - view route
- Sydney: 1849 km (about 23 hrs 16 mins) - view route
- Melbourne: 2450 km (about 1 day 6 hrs) - view route
- Perth: 4816 km (about 2 days 10 hrs) - view route
Distances between places in the Whitsundays
Once in the Whitsundays region, distances by land are quite manageable, the main locations being only a few minutes drive from each other. Some are even within walking distance! Use the table below to get an idea of scale.
|24.8 km||2.4 km||Airlie Beach|
|26.9 km||4.4 km||2.1 km||Jubilee Pocket|
|35 km||12.5 km||10.2 km||8.2 km||Shute Harbour|